Caring for your loved one’s skin, even when they’re at their elder years, is not just all about grooming and cleanliness. It’s also for their health. For one, an infection can breed on the skin and can easily complicate in their age. For another, skin cancer can quickly develop when the signs are not spotted early on.
Hence, as a provider of home health care in Florida, we’ve compiled this list of care tips for the skin as one reaches the post-menopausal stage. Around this time, seniors can already develop dark spots on their skins that are called age spots.
- Why do age spots occur?
Age spots are a sign of the skin damaged by the sun’s heat. For someone who’s been frequently exposed to the sun in their younger years, they can experience these effects in the aging years. These spots usually appear on the face, arms, hands, neck, or chest. Age spots can also be precursors to skin cancer or other pre-cancerous skin breakouts. If your aging loved one is assisted by a home health aide, they can have improved chances of spotting these signs early on.
- What can you do to care for a senior’s skin with age spots?
While you can no longer stop the age spots from developing, you can still help reduce the spreading or worsening. Here are helpful care tips you can apply to your loved one’s skin:
- When they head outdoors, make sure that they put on sunscreen lotion on the face and arms, or at the parts exposed to the sun. Ideally, the spectrum level of at least SPF 30 is already good enough for protection.
- Seek a dermatologist’s advice on what to do with the age spots or if it’s even ideal to do anything about them. With care staff from providers of home health agency in Miami Gardens, Florida, your loved one can make to their doctor’s appointments safely and comfortably.
- Make it a habit to examine the skin for suspicious occurrences or appearances, as these may be signs of cancer. Early skin cancer screening is also helpful while keeping in mind that the risks to this condition are higher as the person’s age also increases.
- Whenever there are some spots that you find which are not normally looking like the other age spots, assist them to their doctor immediately for clearer diagnosis.
Seeing through the care needs of your senior loved one’s skin is indeed not as simple as you anyone can assume. You have to exercise caution and knowledge in administering treatment and screening so that you can preserve them from unnecessary complications.
As your aging loved one will need assistance at home, better orient their care providers to help watch out for their skincare to ensure their overall well-being.
Are you looking for assistance for an aging family member at home? Feel free to inquire about our services at Nationwide Healthcare Services, Inc.